To reduce the harm of road
traffic we can all:
Change our lifestyles
- setting up/taking part in car sharing schemes. See
Notts County Council's Travelwise
initiative which includes a Green Commuter Plan.
- minimising exposure to air pollution by: standing
well back from the road when waiting to cross; keeping young children above exhaust
height; wearing a protective mask when cycling or jogging.
- avoiding using cars for short journeys especially:
almost 3/4 of car journeys are less than 5 miles; 1/3 are less than 1 mile. Catalytic
converters do not start to work for the first 3-5 miles of driving.
Make our views known!
- writing to the City Planning Officer at Nottingham
City Council, The Guildhall, Nottingham NG1 4BT, asking them to reduce motor traffic in
Nottingham and to provide more efficient public transport, more cycle lanes and more safe
places to leave bicycles in town.
- supporting FoE and other organisations in Nottingham
pressing for solutions to these problems:
[Pedals Cycling Campaign]|[Transport 2000]|[Nottingham Green Partnership
[Top of page]|[Traffic problems]|[Home]
A number of press releases are also
Last updated 26 February 1999