Put your foot down
for real food and farming
Nottingham FOE has been collecting signatures on a giant footprint to be sent to Prime Minister Tony Blair. This is part of a national FOE campaign to support a new Charter for Real Food and Farming.
Last year, Tony Blair promised to review intensive farming practices and develop a long term plan for sustainable farming.
FOE wants to see an end to crises like Foot & Mouth and BSE, a fairer deal for farmers from supermarkets, safer food free of pesticides and GM, and protection of the countryside.
For further information see FOE's national website.
In April 2002, Nottingham FOE wrote to local supermarkets. See Local Food page for a brief report.
FOE’S REAL FOOD & FARMING CHARTER
We call on the Government to launch a “real farming” action plan to support less intensive farming and protect the countryside. Our demands:
- Stop GM crops being planted in the UK until their safety and need are proven
- End pesticide residues in our food
- Ensure a third of farmland becomes organic by 2010
- Support local producers and markets
- Give a fair deal for farmers who safeguard our future
- Save food and farming from unfair global trade rules